Playful Words and Boston Public Library
The Playful Words team is designing tools for children to develop skills in self-expression, literacy, and dialog through natural mediums of written language, pictures, and stories. This group is working with Boston Public Library to gain an understanding of how to integrate StoryBlocks and other Playful Words tools into existing community networks.
The group is working with community partners and families to design these tools and define the role of what they call a Family Learning Coach. The exchange aims to create workshops and activities to support learning using Playful Words tools, help Family Learning Coaches learn to facilitate child and parent engagement, create tutoring programs to support early learning, and incorporate StoryBlocks literacy tools into storytime for children and families.
Interested in learning more about the Playful Words and Boston Public Library residency exchange? Questions about how to get involved? Get in touch!
Exchange team members:
- Marc Exposito, Playful Words, Laboratory for Social Machines
- Jim Gray, Playful Words, Laboratory for Social Machines, MIT Media Lab
- Anneli Hershman, Playful Words, Laboratory for Social Machines, MIT Media Lab
- Laura Koenig, Boston Public Library
- Juliana Nazaré, Playful Words, Laboratory for Social Machines, MIT Media Lab
- Melinda Thompson, Boston Public Library